Jobs at the Hermitage
About the Hermitage Artist Retreat
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is a multi-disciplinary artist retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the community. The mission of the Hermitage is to inspire and foster the most influential and culturally consequential art and artists of our time. Located on a nine-acre beachfront campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County, Florida, we provide diverse and accomplished artists with multi-week residencies to create new works of art, theater, music, literature, and more. Hermitage Fellows have frequently described their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,” regularly noting that they accomplish more in any two weeks at the Hermitage than they otherwise might in two years. The award-winning original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological restoration, and dynamic community engagement.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
Senior Development Associate
The Hermitage is seeking a candidate who is enthusiastic about the organization’s mission: to inspire and foster the most influential and culturally consequential art and artists of our time. The successful candidate should be passionate about having a role in a fast-paced, energized, and rapidly growing arts organization that is looking to make a significant and sustainable impact in both our community and the national artistic landscape.
The job requires a high standard of excellence in oral and written communication skills; strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills are essential. This role requires exceptional organizational skills, the ability to multitask and balance a steady stream of deadline-oriented projects. Previous donor or client relations experience is required. This is a full-time, on-site position in Sarasota County, Florida, working closely among a team of passionate, driven, and high-performing professionals. The Hermitage offers a competitive salary and a full benefits program including medical, dental, vision and an IRA match.
The Hermitage is the only major arts organization in the Gulf Coast region exclusively committed to the development and creation of new work across all artistic disciplines. Sarasota County is one of the fastest growing economies in the country, with the arts playing a pivotal role in the culture, community, and prosperity of the region.
Reporting to the Development Director, the Senior Development Associate serves as a key support role to further the mission and goals of the Hermitage Artist Retreat. Serving as the right hand of the Development Director, the Senior Development Associate engages with staff, donors, volunteers, and other constituents to advance philanthropic relationships, coordinate fundraising activities and special events, manage patron and donor services, and provide day-to-day administrative support for the development function. Importantly, the Senior Development Associate has a focus on providing support to the Development Director with regards to donor relations and patron services. This includes coordinating donor meetings and dinners, events administration, program support, and providing superior customer service to donors and patrons. Special projects may be assigned.
- Provide front-line customer support to donors and board members. Actively track and respond to inquiries and provide updates and follow-ups to management.
- Schedule and coordinate logistics surrounding donor meetings, dinners, and other stewardship events and engagements.
- Work with vendors and caterers to ensure the smooth and successful operation of galas and other fundraising events.
- Work closely with the Development Director to organize and administer a comprehensive Annual Fund program, including appeals and campaigns, coordinated LYBUNT and SYBUNT outreach, and strategic efforts to broaden the donor database.
- Cross train in gift processing, data entry, and grant reporting to be able to provide support across the development team (and other teams, as needed).
- Create and maintain event timelines, budgets, and project plans; assist with the maintenance of accurate event records, invitation lists, RSVP management, and any applicable event committee coordination.
- Provide program support (along with Development Coordinator) in terms of preparation, collateral, registration, venue set-up, check-in process, and reconciliation.
- Represent the organization at community events and programs as requested.
- Coordinate special projects at the direction of the Development Director and/or the CEO.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, problem-solving, and oral and written communication skills; strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills essential.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and being at ease with a wide range of donors, constituents, and backgrounds; must be comfortable with donor engagement and public-facing presentations.
- A team player who is invested in the organization’s success, with a passion for the Hermitage’s mission, vision, and values.
- Strong administrative and coordination skills; must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task, prioritize work and manage time efficiently.
- Demonstrated experience in a front-facing, relationship-based position.
- Demonstrated high level of customer service skills, focusing on donors, patrons, and trustees.
- Resilience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Reliable and resourceful, with a positive “can do” attitude and a strong sense of urgency.
- Proven abilities to follow-up and follow through on tasks and service to customers, bringing requests and issues to full resolution.
- Pursuit of excellence and a commitment to high standards in all aspects of work.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office and Google G-Suite applications essential; proficiency with a CRM a plus.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends, as needed, in support of artist programs and donor events on campus and throughout our region.
- Proven abilities to handle discreet and confidential information.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree, or equivalent.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of Position: The Hermitage Artist Retreat on Manasota Key (Sarasota County, Florida)
Salary and Benefits: Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit:
~ Cover Letter
~ Three References
Submit application to: Jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Application deadline: We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their materials promptly.