Jobs at the Hermitage
About the Hermitage Artist Retreat
The Hermitage is a multi-disciplinary artist retreat uniquely serving artists, the creative process, and the community. Located on a nine-acre beachside campus in Manasota Key at the southern tip of Sarasota County, Florida, we provide celebrated artists with six-week residences (a flexible bank of time to schedule over two years) to create new works of art, literature, theater, music, and more. Our Hermitage Fellows have described their experiences as “life-changing” and “transformative,” regularly noting that they accomplish more in two weeks at the Hermitage than they otherwise might do in two years. The award-winning original works created at the Hermitage are presented in renowned concert halls, theaters, museums, and galleries throughout our region and across the globe. In addition to the unique and invaluable experience we provide to artists, we take pride in our complementary missions of historic preservation, ecological restoration, and community outreach and engagement.
Artistic Director and CEO: Andy Sandberg
Co-Founder and Program Director: Patricia Caswell
Reporting to the Development Director, the Development Associate serves as a key support role to further the mission and goals of the Hermitage Artist Retreat. The Development Associate engages with staff, volunteers, and donors to advance philanthropic relationships, assists in coordinating fundraising activities, and provides day-to-day administrative support for the development function. Importantly, the Development Associate is the key manager of the donor management software system, including all the underlying system, process, and technical needs to establish a credible and effective donor database. Additionally, this role is responsible for planning and coordinating events to ensure they are well organized and successfully reflect the mission and brand of the Hermitage. Special projects may be assigned.
- With the guidance of the Development Director, manage the donor system transition from the current database and event management programs to SalesForce, including data migration, record cleaning, and ongoing data management/processes.
- Responsible for the efficient operation and administration of all development needs, including data entry, gift processing, and acknowledgement letters, and any other donor stewardship activities as assigned.
- Work closely with the Development Director to develop and administer a comprehensive Annual Fund program, including appeals and campaigns, coordinated LYBUNT and SYBUNT outreach, and strategic efforts to broaden the donor database.
- Maintain and oversee the records of all Hermitage donor circles and ensure the timely and accurate updating of print/website listings, fulfillment of any associated ‘perks,’ and coordination of donor and VIP stewardship events.
- Create and maintain timelines and project plans and assist with the maintenance of accurate event records, invitation lists, RSVP management, venue set-ups, check in process, event committee coordination, etc.
- Assist with identifying, soliciting, and stewarding sponsorship gifts for events. Solicit in-kind gifts to minimize costs, serve as primary in-kind contact, and ensure documentation for proper reporting and acknowledgement.
- Facilitate corporate sponsorship arrangements.
- Coordinate with appropriate vendors on all aspects of fundraising communications and appeals including design, print collateral, mailings, website, and digital media.
- Represent the organization at community events and programs as needed.
- Coordinate special projects at the direction of the Development Director or the CEO, such as the Community Foundation’s “Giving Challenge” or similar.
- Collaborate with the Development Director and Grants Manager in the timely preparation and submission of grant applications.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, problem-solving, and oral and written communication skills; strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills essential.
- Demonstrated excellence in the management and administration of donor-related management systems and software, including database, communication, donor, and event management programs. Experience with Salesforce a plus.
- Passion for the Hermitage Artist Retreat’s mission, vision, and values.
- Strong project management and coordination skills; must be detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills as a team player; at ease with a wide range of constituents and backgrounds.
- Reliable and resourceful, with a positive “can do” attitude.
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office and Google G-Suite applications.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends, as needed, in support of artist programs and donor events on campus and throughout our region.
- Ability to operate and troubleshoot basic office equipment, and quickly understand and utilize technical systems and databases.
- Graphic design and web skills a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent. Graduate degree and/or CFRE or ACFRE accreditation a plus.
- Experience in philanthropic organizations and a good understanding of how non-profits fundraise and operate.
The Hermitage Artist Retreat is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, artists, guests, and members of our community.
Location of position:
The Hermitage Artist Retreat on Manasota Key, Sarasota County, Florida
Salary and benefits:
Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit:
Submit applications to: Jobs@HermitageArtistRetreat.org
Application deadlines: We are seeking to fill this position in the coming weeks. Candidates are asked to submit their material as soon as possible.